Songs of Charlie Rich: Feels Like Going Home CD
My Father always spoke of Memphisas a "Golden City". An electric, soulful, center of the musical universe: Blues, jazz, rock n' roll, gospel, rockabilly, country, you name it-- Memphis had it all. There the nightlife was vibrant and the music never stopped. There you could see and be seen by the hottest new acts in the business. And there was one place where one man, Sam Phillips, was single-handedly changing the music scene forever, launching superstar after superstar, helping them to hone their own special style and create musical magic called rock n' roll. He very much wanted to be a part of that and Sam made that dream come true.
The Phillips and Rich families have shared a deep and genuine friedship that was woven over half a centruy. It is a thrill for me to be a part of a project featuring my father's songs alongsice the next generation(s) of Phillips. It's fitting that our families have come full circle to celebrate my father's songs in such a creative and wonderful way.
Whaile many know my father from his fame as a country crooner, there have always been the die-hard Charlie Rich fans that knew his early stuff, some would say the cooler, more soulful, and more personal stuff--the real Charlie Rich.
"Feel Like Going Home" features songs written and performed during Charlie's most prolific years as a songwriter, session player, and SUN Records recording artist.
Here is a unique collection of some of today's most soulful artists, handpicked in the tradition of Sam Phillips, to pay homage to Charlie Rich's personal experiences-- These, the songs that represented his life and his story.
- Charlie Rich, Jr.
- Lonely Weekends (Jim Lauderdale)
- Caught In The Middle (The Malpass Brothers)
- Whirlwind (Juliet Simmons Dinallo)
- Sittin' And Thinking' (Will Kimbrough)
- Time and Again (Susan Marshal)
- Break Up (Charlie Rich Jr.)
- Who Will The Next Fool Be (Holli Mosley)
- Rebound (Shooter Jennings)
- Midnight Blues (Anita Suhanin)
- Easy Money (Preston Shannon)
- Don't Put No Headstone On My Grave (Johnny Hoy)
- Everything I Do Is Wrong (Keith Sykes w/ Grace Askew)
- Feel Like Going Home (Kevin Connolly)